Seas sit top of the table

Anglesea's Jack Baker streams out of defence during last year's game against Ocean Grove. (Ivan Kemp) 336330_13

It’s early in the season, but already Anglesea is looking every bit the top three side following two impressive wins to start its Bellarine Football League campaign.

The Seas knocked off Barwon Heads in a huge scalp on Easter Saturday away from home and then demolished Modewarre by 79 points on Saturday to sit on top of the ladder. Final scores 17.17(119) to 6.4(40).

Coach Jordan Keras said defeating year’s third and fourth placed teams in the opening two rounds was encouraging.

“I’ve been really pleased,” he said.

“We’ve got a challenging five weeks ahead. The more teams you beat that are around the mark, the better.

“We’re just focussed on trying to play finals again this year. Natural improvement playing the game plan and injecting some good mature recruits is probably the key so far.”

The Seas had an even spread of goalkickers against Modda with Keras bobbing up for three majors as did Tom Couch.

“We respect Modda – they’ve been a good side for a number of years and finished fourth last year,” Keras said.

“We knew if we got our game going we could get the job done. Our spread from contests and ability to work hard showed over the four quarters.

“We’ve had an even contribution from our boys at the moment. When guys are willing to play their role, it holds you in good stead.”

However, despite the final margin Keras said he wasn’t completely satisfied with the performance.

“I probably did feel like we weren’t moving the ball as well as what we would have liked,” he said.

“It sounds silly but we didn’t quite get our mojo going through the game. We had plus 57 inside 50s and a lowish percentage for score involvements.”

Anglesea turns its attention to last year’s runners-up Drysdale in what is shaping as being the most even season in recent memory.

“It will be a decent test in Drysdale,” Keras said.

“Every game, you have to rock up and be ready to play.”.

PORTARLINGTON defeated Ocean Grove for the first time 30 years with a 13.5(83) to 7.11(53) win. Teia Miles booted his second bag of five goals for the Demons.

DRYSDALE hung on to defeat a fast-finishing Barwon Heads, 13.15(93) to 12.7(79). The Heads got to within two points late in the contest, but two steadying goals saw the Hawks home with Mitch O’Dowd best afield.

TORQUAY survived a mighty scare from Newcomb to win 13.15(93) to 12.10(82). Patrick Hughes booted four for Torquay in a dominant display while Jack Duke kicked another five for the gallant Power.

GEELONG AMATEUR also held on against a rampaging Queenscliff to win 12.13(85) to 11.12(78). Midfielder Riley Ferguson was instrumental for Ammos, but star recruit Tom Gribble suffered an ankle injury that will likely keep him sidelined for a few weeks.