Cats end Hawks’ winning streak

Gary Rohan played his 200th AFL game on the weekend.

Geelong recovered from its mid-season slump, dismantling Hawthorn by 51 points to bring the Hawks’ five-match winning streak to an end.

In its first game at GMHBA Stadium in front of a crowd since 2006, Hawthorn was bullied by the hungry Cats as the hosts cruised to a 16.14 (110) to 9.5 (59) win on Saturday.

Key Hawthorn forward Mitch Lewis, who was playing his first game since round three, was hurt in the final quarter after a heavy collision with Geelong defender Jake Kolodjashnij.

Lewis left the field with blood streaming from his head and looked to be holding his knee, in concerning scenes to cap off a tough match for the Hawks.

Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell and the club refused to confirm if Lewis had been placed in concussion protocols or provide any update on the 25-year-old’s knee.

“When I left the rooms … I thought it’s better to go in here a bit naive than have to tell you what I know, so I actually don’t know the answer,” Mitchell said of Lewis’s health.

Opening with five successive behinds – three of them to Jeremy Cameron – Geelong never gave up its lead and won every quarter.

Star forward Cameron returned to close to his best form, kicking 4.4 and having a game-high 13 score involvements.

Small Cats forward Brad Close matched Cameron’s efforts with four goals.

It was a seriously even performance from the Cats, who overwhelmed a Hawthorn defence missing captain James Sicily with 63 to 39 inside-50s.

Despite losing six of seven games before beating Essendon by 45 points at the MCG last Saturday, the Cats remain well in the hunt to secure a top-four finish.

“I wasn’t too flat with how we were going, disappointed and a bit annoyed, but not overreacting,” Geelong coach Chris Scott.

“And we’re not going to overreact now we’ve had a couple of wins. It’s reasonable to say that the signs are good.”

Celebrating his 200th AFL game, forward Gary Rohan produced an electric cameo with two goals in as many minutes late in the first term.

Premiership fullback Sam De Koning enjoyed his best game since being switched into the ruck three weeks ago, kicking two goals – doubling his career tally – by early in the second quarter and outworking Hawthorn’s Lloyd Meek.

Hawthorn had put itself on the verge of entering the top eight after winning seven of its previous eight matches before the trip to Geelong.

But without Sicily (shoulder), dynamic forward Jack Ginnivan (leg) and young tall Calsher Dear (soreness), the Hawks played more like they did early in the season when they lost the first five games.

Geelong next faces wounded reigning premiers Collingwood at the MCG on Friday night, and the Hawks head to Launceston for an intriguing clash with Fremantle on Saturday.