By Mark Heenan
Ocean Grove Football Netball Club has parted ways with first-year playing coach Jordan Jones.
The Grubbers advised Jones on Tuesday 2 July the option to coach in 2020 would not be taken up by the club.
Jones, 29, was recruited as a key one-point player for 2019 after he was appointed as Grubber playing coach in September last year.
Jones had knee surgery in May after he ruptured his meniscus in April after the Grubbers’ loss to Queenscliff in Round 3.
He played two senior matches for Ocean Grove in 2019 in Round 1 and Round 3 and had been forced to coach from the sidelines as he recovers from knee surgery.
“The Ocean Grove Football Netball Club in conjunction with coach, Jordan Jones have agreed not to trigger the season 2020 clause contained within his coaching contract,” OGFNC said in a club statement.
“Club representatives spoke with Jordan on Tuesday evening, where he was informed that the option of season 2020 will not be taken up by the club.
“Meetings have occurred on Tuesday evening with Jordan, the senior playing group and staff to further discuss the committee’s decision, the remainder of season 2019 as well as future plans.
“The club would like to acknowledge the commitment and contribution Jordan has made during his time at Ocean Grove and wish him well for the future.”
Senior assistant coach David King will be the interim coach for the remaining six BFL games.
“I’m going to help them out and (be) interim coach (and see) the year out,” King told the Voice.
Ocean Grove suffered its biggest loss since Round 18, 2017 when Anglesea thumped Ocean Grove by 104 points in wet conditions on Saturday 29 June.
The Grubbers have only kicked 11 goals from its last three matches after losses to Barwon Heads, Drysdale and Anglesea in consecutive weeks.